Armoured Commander: A Short Overview

Since my last update of a Patton's Best playthrough, I've been hearing a lot about a video game called Armoured Commander. AC is basically a PC version of Patton's Best with some interesting little differences. The game was apparently built using a programming language called Python along with a library called libtcod. Since I am currently in the middle of learning Python, this captured my interest and I found an entire community of developers  building their own indie games out there and doing some pretty fantastic work. Pretty inspiring to see people out there building this kind of stuff.

I spent some time playing Armoured Commander over the past week and here is an introduction to the game. You don't need to have played Patton's Best to enjoy it. You can jump right it in and intuitively grasp most of the gameplay after a couple of missions. The graphics are ASCII so you'll have to use your imagination a bit, especially if you're used to playing games that boast state-of-the-art graphics. The game is every bit as unforgiving as Patton's Best - I lost the entire crew of The Spring Chicken in my second mission of the game! Anyway, here's a video that explains a bit more about the game and shows how some of the gameplay works.


Comments

  1. Very cool. I code in Python so this is now on my project list. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started learning Python earlier this month and I love it! I managed to build a crude NATO combat die roller with it for my first project and it was much simpler than I expected. What a great programming language.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts